One of the features we put into Blogsy 3.3 is email. The obvious use for this is to write good looking formatted emails with pictures and links and send them to people. But the biggest reason we put email into Blogsy is so people that are using a blogging platform not supported by Blogsy can still use Blogsy to write and publish posts. All the blogging platforms we are aware of have email-to-post functionality so now people can write up their post in Blogsy then email it to their blog.
But thanks to a Twitter follower’s question we discovered that the email functionality could also be used for MailChimp. What is MailChimp? In their own words, ”MailChimp helps you design email newsletters, share them on social networks, integrate with services you already use, and track your results. It’s like your own personal publishing platform.”
We are users of MailChimp so we now use Blogsy to compose and send out our newsletters.
This is how it’s done.
1) The first thing you’ll need to do is get the MailChimp email address for your subscriber list. Once you have done this you won’t have to do it again.
a. Sign into your MailChimp account.
b. Click on “Lists” in the menu across the top of your account.
c. In the options next to your list you will see an option for “Email Beamer” – click on it. If you would like to know more about Email Beamer you can check out MailChimp’s information about it here.
d. Copy the email address and get it to your iPad. The way I did this was to paste it into an email and send it to myself. Then I opened that email on my iPad and long-pressed on the email address in the body. This gave me an option to “Add to Contacts”. I created a contact and now whenever I want to send an email to my MailChimp account it is right there in my contacts.
2) The Second and most fun part is writing up your email in Blogsy. You do the same thing you would normally do when writing up a blog post. You write, drag in images, format text, set alignment, create links and all the other things you want to do to make your email look great.
a) If you embed a video into the email the recipient will not see it. Email clients (Gmail, Yahoo…) do not display embedded videos. This means that if you want to have a video in your email you need to create a link to it. That’s as easy as highlighting a word and dragging the URL for the video in from Blogsy’s built-in browser.
3) When you have your email looking just the way you like it, tap on the email icon in the dock. This will open the standard iOS email interface with the email you just created in the body.
4) Select your MailChimp address from your contacts.
5) Tap on “Send”
6) MailChimp will send you a confirmation email back. If you reply to this email with the the word “send” it will send that campaign out to your subscribers without you having to sign into your MailChimp account.
a) But if you’d like to edit that campaign on MailChimp before sending it to your subscribers then just ignore the confirmation email.
Now it’s so much easier for us to send out our newsletters.